The Opportunity Agenda seeks a seasoned leader with a proven track record of impact and change management for a senior position in this high-growth social justice organization. The Vice President, Program Strategy and Impact will serve as the organization’s senior programmatic leader during a period of significant growth, change, and opportunity. Working from our New York City headquarters, the VP, Program Strategy and Impact will report directly to the President and be an integral part of the organization’s Sr. Leadership Team.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY AGENDA
The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab with the mission of building the national will to expand opportunity in the United States. Through a combination of communications expertise, cultural engagement, research, and policy advocacy, we collaborate with social justice leaders around the country to help tell more compelling stories that drive lasting changes in public opinion, public discourse, and public policy. The Opportunity Agenda works collaboratively with social justice advocates, organizers, artists, entertainers, policymakers, faith leaders, and others dedicated to greater and more equal opportunity. Our programmatic activities include public opinion and media research, narrative and messaging guidance, communications training, strategy convenings, cultural engagement, news media placement, and social media outreach.
After thirteen years of operation, The Opportunity Agenda enjoys a strong reputation for vision, innovation, integrity, and high-quality programming, filling a crucial niche in the social justice issue and cultural strategies ecosystem. The organization’s current multi-year initiatives are Economic Opportunity, Criminal Justice Reform, and Immigrant Human Rights. Equity based on race, gender, sexual identity, and other characteristics is central to all of our work, as is intersectionality across issues, identities, and communities. To learn more about The Opportunity Agenda, visit www.opportunityagenda.org.
Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President, Program Strategy and Impact will have strategic and operational responsibility for all program areas. The position will be a part of the Sr. Leadership Team that drives the organization’s overall strategy and operations. The VP, Program Strategy and Impact will be responsible for program leadership, planning, delivery and evaluation; knowledge management and internal program learning; and relationship-building throughout the sector.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Manage a growing programmatic staff and its operations to ensure we reach our ambitious goals.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of program strategy, planning, and delivery.
- Provide leadership, guidance and innovation to ensure quality, integrity, and continuous improvement of organizational programs and project management.
- Lead implementation and review of programmatic aspects of the Strategic Plan and Program Planning and initiate steps to better align staff roles, responsibilities and activities with organizational priorities.
- Supervise, develop and grow the organization’s program staff by managing, coaching, retaining, developing, and recruiting high-performing team members.
- Provide leadership in the development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining a participatory and empowering culture while supporting staff during organizational growth.
- Expand and manage relationships with partner organizations from the advocacy, public policy, popular culture, philanthropy, research, and other spheres, developing coordinated strategies that draw on the field’s diverse strengths, address gaps, and amplify a shared narrative.
- Ensure that the organization remains a cutting-edge innovator within the social justice sector, adapting to new realities, incorporating new technologies, and expanding alliances and audiences.
Oversee program learning, evaluation, and staff development that sustains a culture of excellence.
- Articulate and establish measurable goals, objectives, and metrics for assessing, reporting, and improving impact.
- Develop and enhance the systems needed to gather internal and external organizational performance information and utilize it to assess, improve, and demonstrate organizational impact.
- Improve and sustain systems, training, and opportunities for staff program learning, onboarding, skill-building, and professional development.
Serve as a key member of The Opportunity Agenda’s sr. leadership team.
- As an integral part of the Senior Leadership Team, play a key role in organizational direction, governance, budget development, and accountability.
- Actively participate in Steering Committee meetings and relations.
- Working with the President and Development team, participate in fundraising from idea generation to donor stewardship to proposal development to organizational promotion and accountability. Collaborate with Senior and Management staff to ensure integration of program and resource development, and support efforts to create and maintain and organization-wide culture of philanthropy.
- Participate in annual processes such as budgeting, goal-setting, and performance reviews.
- Serve as an ambassador, spokesperson, and high-profile organizational leader before a range of stakeholder audiences and in the media.
All candidates must have demonstrated proficiency in leading leaders and a proven record of successful leadership, supervision, strategy, and relationship-management experience, along with a long-term commitment to advancing social justice. Specific qualifications include:
Skills and abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to The Opportunity Agenda’s mission, vision, values, and articulated theory of social change.
- Strong vision and a clear theory of change regarding social justice goals and potentialities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with diverse colleagues, partners, and communities.
- Exceptional communication and persuasive skills, including written and verbal skills and media-readiness.
- Experience in training, public speaking and engaging audiences
- Outstanding managerial, supervisory, teambuilding, and mentoring skills.
- Familiarity with different types of social change actors, including advocates, organizers, policymakers, researchers, and cultural leaders.
- Significant knowledge regarding the organization’s initiative areas and equity principles.
- An understanding of relevant emerging trends, including in social movements, the media landscape, demographics, framing theory, and policymaking.
- Fluency with digital and social media platforms as instruments for social change.
- A team player, who can communicate and operate effectively with colleagues and allies within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Integrity, a positive attitude, humility, and a sense of humor.
- Spanish or API language fluency is highly desired.
- At least eight years of management experience, including success as a respected and effective supervisor, having recruited, managed, and developed a strong team of professionals.
- A track record of effectively leading program and staff, developing and operationalizing strategies that have taken a program, team, or organization to the next stage of growth.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects, achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Experience planning and executing successful social justice communications campaigns at the state, regional, and/or national level.
- Successful participation in past foundation and/or major donor fundraising efforts.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position will be determined based on experience and skills. Health, dental and vision insurance are provided as well as life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending, and 403(b) retirement accounts. Generous vacation package.
New York, NY
The Opportunity Agenda has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. This search is being led by Shavon Bell. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the idea that our nation should be one where everyone enjoys full and equal opportunity. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.