The Opportunity Agenda seeks an Accountant/Bookkeeper. This is a non-exempt position. Non-exempt employees are paid hourly and must ensure that all time work is recorded for payment. By law, all non-exempt employees are entitled to overtime pay for hours worked that exceed 40 hours in the workweek.
The Accountant/Bookkeeper’s primary focus will be to manage the organization’s accounting and bookkeeping functions, in conjunction with senior accounting staff. Other duties include providing services related to office administration. The Accountant/Bookkeeper reports to the Director of Human Resources and Operations and works closely with the Tides Center, senior finance staff and/or consultants to ensure The Opportunity Agenda is compliant with all policies and procedures related finance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Finance: Bookkeeping and Accounting
- Maintain appropriate internal controls and corresponding systems, policies and procedures for all accounting and bookkeeping functions.
- Assist with end of month and end of year closings
- Manage the P-Card reconciliation process to ensure organizational compliance
- Work with Tides Center to ensure contracts, agreements and addendums are processed accurately and on a timely basis.
- Review all invoices for accuracy before processing; ensure vendors are paid in accordance with their corresponding contracts and agreements.
- Prepare, process and manage all expense reimbursement requests.
- Ensure all checks received are processed in accordance with Tides Center’s guidelines
- Accurately code all expenses and revenues by cost center (grant), department, project, and account.
- Prepare finance reports as necessary and/or requested
- Assist in the analysis and research for budget reporting
- Manage all document file retention according to Tide Center and state law regulations.
- Act as main point of contact with Tides Center’s finance staff
- Perform other accounting and financial reporting tasks as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor front and back doors; greeting and directing authorized guests; restricting access to unauthorized guests.
- Assist with the handling of catering and/or venue reservations for organizational meetings
- Assist with purchasing supplies, stationery, and furniture; and the leasing of equipment and furniture.
- Assist with organizing periodic staff outings and organizational events
- Perform other office administration related tasks as assigned.
- Occasional/rare evening and weekend hours
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum three years continuous full-time experience in a similar position.
- Related bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent job-related experience preferred.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles
- Familiarity with NetSuite, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Salesforce and or other finance, CRM, and HRIS applications
- Ability to multitask while maintaining a pleasant and welcoming demeanor.
- Strong sense of integrity and trustworthiness
- The Accountant/Bookkeeper is an integral part of the operations team. This Role will be the primary contact for all internal staff, Tides’ Center staff and consultants regarding accounting and bookkeeping matters.
- Regular work hours are Mon-Fri 10am-6pm
- Incumbent will work on a computer for majority of the workday.
- Must be able to lift 10 pounds deliveries and other items
- Workspace is in a business office environment.
- Pay commensurate with experience.
- Health, dental and vision insurance are provided as well as life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending, and 403(b) retirement accounts. Generous vacation package.
HOW TO APPLY
- Email resumes AND cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include position title “Accountant/Bookkeeper” in the subject line of email
- No calls please
This post describes the job that is currently available. It is not an employment contract. Our company reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY AGENDA
The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab dedicated to the idea that our nation should be one where everyone enjoys full and equal opportunity.
The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance. To learn more about The Opportunity Agenda, go to our website www.opportunityagenda.org.