The Opportunity Agenda seeks a Research Intern for its New York office for Summer 2019. The Opportunity Agenda is a non-profit communications lab that collaborates with social justice leaders to move hearts and minds, driving lasting policy and culture change. We amplify the inspirational voices of opportunity through a combination of communication expertise and creative engagement.
The Public Opinion and Media Research Summer Intern will provide research support primarily to the immigration and anti-poverty initiatives. We are looking for an individual who has a strong interest in social justice issues, and a desire to work with large quantitative datasets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working under the guidance of the Public Opinion and Media Research Coordinator, the Research Intern will perform quantitative and qualitative data analysis and other research related to the Opportunity Agenda’s ongoing projects. Specific duties include:
- Conducting literature searches of newspapers, blogs, and online publications;
- Contributing content to the Opportunity Agenda blog;
- Aiding in the cleaning and coding of large datasets;
- Assisting with survey administration through Qualtrics and preparation of survey data reports;
- Organizing outreach to partners for multiple research projects
- Monitoring membership and research requests for a digital library
- Assisting on other projects and tasks as assigned.
The internship is full-time (30 hours a week) for 8 weeks beginning mid/late-June and concluding in August. The position based in New York City with an initial orientation, on-going supervision, and a final evaluation of the experience.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Attending college/graduate school or recently graduated and thinking seriously about career direction.
- Must have a basic understanding of research methodologies and experience using SPSS,
- Applicants with previous non-profit communications experience will be given preference.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in English.
- Formal training and experience in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
- Advance knowledge of SPSS.
- Knowledge of Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Demonstrated interest in social justice issues.
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a team environment.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY AGENDA:
The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communications lab. We believe in the power of communication and collaboration to drive lasting change. We collaborate with social justice leaders to help tell more compelling stories that drive lasting culture and policy change. Through a combination of communication expertise, creative engagement, and research, we amplify the inspirational voices of opportunity. Based in New York City, The Opportunity Agenda is a non-profit organization dedicated to the idea that our nation can and should be a place where everyone enjoys full opportunity. To learn more about The Opportunity Agenda, go to our website www.opportunityagenda.org.
The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions, or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
This is a paid position $15.00/hour. School credit or stipend can also be arranged, though all stipends will be paid directly to your school.
LOCATION: New York, NY
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and a writing sample to email@example.com and include “Research Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls please.