The Opportunity Agenda seeks a Development Intern for its New York office. The Opportunity Agenda is a non-profit communications lab that collaborates with social justice leaders to move hearts and minds, driving lasting policy and culture change. We amplify the inspirational voice of opportunity by providing a combination of communication expertise, creative engagement, and research to social justice organizations, advocates, and the public.
Working under the supervision of the Development Coordinator, and in coordination with other Development staff, the intern will assist with projects and tasks that support our overall goal of raising $4.7 million in 2019. The primary focus for the internship will be logistical and fund-raising support for the upcoming fundraising gala and will also include overall assistance on a broad range of fund-raising strategies.
The responsibilities of the intern include, but are not limited to:
- Event preparation including logistics, outreach and promotion
- Preparing and assisting with development emails, newsletters, and briefings
- Assisting with updating and cleaning our donor database
- Researching major gifts prospects and foundations who can support our work
This intern position offers exposure to the full range of development activities (including appeals, events, foundation giving, communications, cultivation, and planning), and will also work collaboratively with staff in our communications and creative departments. The internship is 28 hours each week for 12 weeks and based in New York City with an initial orientation, on-going supervision, and a final evaluation of the experience.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Attending college/graduate school or recently graduated and thinking seriously about career direction.
- Must have a basic understanding of the principles of fundraising and development.
- Applicants with previous non-profit communications, development or events management experience will be given preference.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- A strong desire to work in non-profit fundraising / development
- Experience working in a professional environment
- Analytical, organizational, and general office skills
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable taking initiative
- Detail-oriented, energetic and quick learner possessing writing, editing and research skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficiency in English
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- A sense of humor and enthusiasm for our work and mission
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY AGENDA:
Based in New York City, The Opportunity Agenda is a non-profit organization dedicated to the idea that our nation can and should be a place where everyone enjoys full opportunity.
The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions, or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
$15/hour for 28 hours per week. School credit or stipend can also be arranged, though all stipends will be paid directly to your school.
LOCATION: New York, NY
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and up to 5 writing samples to email@example.com and include “Development Internship” in the subject line by February 1, 2018. The internship will be from February 19, 2019 – May 10, 2019. No phone calls please.