Amplify Values In These Emerging Issues
Call Out Trump Administration for Child Separations
Just before Thanksgiving, the Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) released a report about the Trump administration's family separation policy at the U.S.-Mexico border. The office found that DHS projected in 2018 that it would separate 26,000 children through its "zero tolerance" policy. To make matters worse, DHS knew they lacked the technology and means to reunite children with their families, yet continued with the policy. Call out the administration by citing the values of Family Unity, Community, and Economic Security.
- Messaging and communication tools: The Opportunity Agenda's Talking About Imprisoned Children at the Border; Talking About The U.S. Border: Imprisoned Children and Separated Families; The Importance of Maintaining our Identity as a Nation That Welcomes Refugees
and Talking About Unaccompanied Refugee Children Fleeing Harm; American Civil Liberties Union's Family Separation by the Numbers; Kids In Need of Defense (KIND)'s Family Separation; Families Belong Together's Resources
- Hashtags: #FamiliesBelongTogether; #AbolishICE
Talking About Poverty During the Holidays
Now is the time of year when many people discuss charitable responses for people living in poverty. Rather than assuming that poverty is inevitable, help shift the narrative to a more visonary one based on economic opportunity. Use our messaging pillars.
Upcoming Media Hooks & Events
Dec. 3 -11
Below is a list of communication hooks and events for this week in October that you can use to reach new audiences and inform existing ones. Click on each link for messaging and communication tools as well as hashtags.
Events and Cultural Hooks:
- Open enrollment for health insurance plans: Now until Sunday, Dec. 15
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities: Tuesday, Dec. 3
- Webinar, “The Power of Story in a Fractured Society": Wednesday, Dec. 4 @ 2pm
- International Volunteer Day: Thursday, Dec. 5
- Death Penalty Convocation in Terra Haute, IN: Sunday, Dec. 8
- International Human Rights Day: Tuesday, Dec. 10
- Abolitionist Harriet Tubman engineered first rescue mission: During Dec. 1850
- Poor People’s Campaign launches: Dec. 4, 1967
- Prohibition ends: Dec. 5, 1933
- The Montgomery Bus Boycott begins: Dec. 5, 1955
- New York City passes nation’s first fair housing ordinance: Dec. 5, 1957
- The National Hunger March reaches Washington D.C.: Dec. 6, 1931
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) becomes law: Dec. 8, 1993
For a look further ahead in December, click here.