Amplify Values In These Emerging Issues
Challenge Trump’s False Claims on Poverty
In his State of the Union speech last night, President Trump made many dubious economic claims, particularly around reducing poverty. Today and tomorrow, the House Oversight Committee is holding in-depth hearings to assess the impact of the administration’s actions on poverty. They’ll be considering Trump’s administrative regulatory actions around SNAP, fair housing, the poverty line, and more. When talking about these hearings, cite the values of Economic Security and Community.
- Take action: Today at 12pm EST, join the #ProtectKids tweetstorm.
- Messaging and communication tools: #PROTECTKIDS Social Media Toolkit and graphics; The Opportunity Agenda's Talking About Poverty & Economic Opportunity Today: Three Core Pillars and Casseroles Against Trump: Standing Up to a Proposal that Would Slash SNAP; Center for Budget and Policy Priorities' Trump Rule Weakens SNAP’s Recession-Fighting Power
- Hashtags: #ProtectKids
Voice your Support of Democratic Values in Impeachment Trial
At 4pm EST, the Senate will vote on the articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump. Use the opportunity to contact your senators and tell them that no one, including the president, is above the law. Cite the values of Equality and Voice.
- Messaging and communication tools: The Opportunity Agenda's Talking Impeachment: Protecting our Democratic Values and Center for American Progress' Public Officials Who Betray the Public Trust Pay the Price—So Should the President
- Hashtags: #ImpeachmentTrial and #ImpeachmentDay
Upcoming Media Hooks & Events
Feb. 5 -12, 2020
Below is a list of this week's communication hooks as well as events that you can use to reach new audiences and inform existing ones. Click on each link for messaging tools and hashtags.
Events and Cultural Hooks:
- Black History/Black Future(s) Month
- #ProtectKids Tweetstorm: Wednesday, Feb. 5 at 12pm EST
- Webinar on immigration and the economy: Friday, Feb. 7 at 12pm EST
- 8th Democratic presidential debate: Friday, Feb. 7 at 8pm EST
- The Oscars: Feb. 9 at 8pm EST
- Deadline to support Families and Friends of Louisiana's Incarcerated Children: Monday, Feb. 10
- State of Indian Nations: Monday, Feb. 10 at 10am EST
- President Trump releases 2021 budget: Monday, Feb. 10
- New Hampshire Democratic primaries: Tuesday, Feb. 11
- Family and Medical Leave Act signed: Feb. 5, 1993
- Trayvon Martin’s 25th birthday: Feb. 5, 1995
- Mississippi certifies 13th Amendment: Feb. 7, 2013
- The Dawes Act signed: Feb. 8, 1887
- The Longest Walk begins: Feb. 11, 1978
- "I Am A Man" Sanitation Worker Strike begins: Feb. 12, 1968
For a look further ahead, click here.
Add the Amp media hooks to your work calendar
You don't need to wait each week for the Amp action alert to find out what's coming up. You can easily add our media hooks and events to your work calendar, which will automatically update when you refresh your calendar. Here's how:
- Google Calendar: Follow these instructions to subscribe to calendar using an email address (not link option). Copy and paste this entire address: email@example.com
- Outlook: Follow these instructions. Copy and paste this entire link: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/o33rmu231ochbp5i16botmsvus%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Apple iCal for Macs: Follow these instructions. Copy and paste this entire link: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/o33rmu231ochbp5i16botmsvus%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics