Amplify Values In These Emerging Issues
Start 2020 with Optimism
We at The Opportunity Agenda believe that there are reasons to be optimistic about the new year. We regularly witness how creative, culturally intentional, and collaborative communication strategies, combined with values-based messaging can move hearts and minds. Read more here.
Celebrate Refugees as Legal Fight Goes to US District Court In Maryland
Last fall, President Trump issued an Executive Order requiring that state and local officials consent to allowing refugees to be resettled in their communities. To date, 41 governors from both parties have expressed support for continuing to welcome refugees. This week, the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland will hear oral arguments in a lawsuit to protect the refugee program by contesting Trump’s order. Outside the courthouse before the hearing, refugees, religious leaders, and allies will celebrate the contributions of refugees and pray the court will protect our country’s policy of welcome.
- Take action: Attend the vigil in Maryland and/or amplify on social media.
- Messaging and communication tools: Interfaith Immigration Coalition's Celebration of Refugees Outside US District Court; Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition’s press statement; The Opportunity Agenda's The Importance of Maintaining our Identity as a Nation That Welcomes Refugees; Refugee Council USA’s An Open Letter to Refugees; National Immigration Forum's Audio: Leaders Voice Support for Refugees; Welcoming America's WelcomingRefugees.org; SEARAC's Trump Administration Considers Further Cuts to Refugee Admissions
- Hashtag: #RefugeesWelcome
Reject Hikes to Immigration Fees
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) recently proposed increasing most of their fees, including citizenship, DACA, and asylum applications. More than 30,000 people commented on the proposal, pointing out the financial barriers this will create for many immigrants and refugees. When talking about about the proposal, be sure to cite the values of Economic Security and Community.
- Take action: Join the National Partnership for New Americans' webinar on Wednesday Jan. 15 to learn what to do next. Register here.
- Messaging and communication tools: National Partnership for New Americans' Final Comment; Mayors and County Executives's Letter Opposing the Proposed Rule; American Immigration Council's 4 Ways USCIS’ Proposed Fee Increase Fails to Solve the Agency’s Problems; National Immigration Law Center's Proposed Immigration Fee Increases Favor the Wealthy, Diminishing Opportunities for Asylum-Seekers and DACA Recipients; United We Dream's Stop Trump's Newest Scheme
- Hashtags: #RefugeesWelcome; #HereToStay
Upcoming Media Hooks & Events
Jan. 8 -16, 2020
Below is a list of this week's communication hooks as well as events that you can use to reach new audiences and inform existing ones. Click on each link for messaging tools and hashtags.
Events and Cultural Hooks:
- Poverty Awareness Month
- National Migration Week: Now until Jan. 8
- Court hearing on Trump Anti-Refugee Executive Order: Wednesday, Jan. 8
- Human Trafficking Awareness Day: Saturday, Jan. 11
- Webinar - The Field Response to the Proposed Fee Increases: Wednesday, Jan. 15
- President Lyndon Johnson announces "The War on Poverty:" Jan. 8, 1964
- German Coast Uprising begins: Jan. 8, 1811
- Founding of Southern Christian Leadership Conference: Jan. 10, 1957
- Bread and Roses Strike begins: Jan. 11, 1912
- Tompkins Square Riot: Jan. 13, 1874
- Prohibition legalized: Jan. 16, 1919
For a look further ahead, click here.
Add the Amp media hooks to your work calendar
You don't need to wait each week for the Amp action alert to find out what's coming up. You can easily add our media hooks and events to your work calendar, which will automatically update when you refresh your calendar. Here's how:
- Google Calendar: Follow these instructions to subscribe to calendar using an email address (not link option). Copy and paste this entire address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outlook: Follow these instructions. Copy and paste this entire link: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/o33rmu231ochbp5i16botmsvus%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Apple iCal for Macs: Follow these instructions. Copy and paste this entire link: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/o33rmu231ochbp5i16botmsvus%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics