Amplify Values In These Emerging Issues
Raise Values in Impeachment Discussions
Public impeachment hearings start today on Capitol Hill. This is a unique opportunity to reinforce the story of our nation’s values, and why we must not allow them to be taken for granted or disregarded by anyone, most especially the President of the United States. Our messaging must be about what we will achieve when justice has prevailed. Cite the values of Equality and Voice when discussing the impeachment.
Speak Up for Sanctuary Cities
Last week, voters in Sussex County, NJ and Tucson, AZ voted in favor of allowing whether local law enforcement to collaborate with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). But the city of Greenfield, MA voted to become a “safe city” where city officials are barred from asking about anyone’s immigration status. Use these discussions of “sanctuary” policies to discuss the values of Community, Voice, and Economic Security. Frame sanctuary cities in terms of strong, safe, and connected communities, while avoiding associations with crime and violence.
Upcoming Media Hooks & Events
Nov. 13 - 20
Below is a list of communication hooks and events for this week in October that you can use to reach new audiences and inform existing ones. Click on each link for messaging and communication tools as well as hashtags.
Events and Cultural Hooks:
- Native American Heritage Month
- National Family Caregivers Month
- Open enrollment for health insurance plans: Now until Sunday, Dec.
- Transgender Awareness Week: Now until Nov. 20
- National Call-in Day to #DefundHate: Wednesday, Nov. 13
- World Kindness Day/ Cardigan Day: Wednesday, Nov. 13
- Livestreamed event: Building a Democratic Economy - How Do We Create Prosperity for All? Wednesday, Nov. 13 at noon EST
- Online conversation on State of the Field - Narrative Change Research: Thursday, Nov. 14 at 1pm EST
- #HandsOffSNAP/#ProtectSNAP tweet storm: Thursday, Nov. 14 at 3pm EST
- Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week: Starting Saturday, Nov. 16
- Transgender Day of Remembrance/Resilence: Wednesday, Nov. 20
- Latina Equal Pay Day: Wednesday, Nov. 20
- Webinar- The Opportunity Agenda's Immigration Research Consortium: Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 2pm EST
- Fifth Democratic presidential debate: Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 9pm EST
- Supreme Court strikes down segregation on Montgomery buses (Browder v. Gayle): Nov. 13, 1956
- Ruby Bridges integrates New Orleans elementary school: Nov. 14, 1960
- Pres. John F. Kennedy bans racial discrimination from federal housing: Nov. 20, 1962
- American Indian Organization occupies Alcatraz (50 year anniversary): Nov. 20, 1969
For a look further ahead in November, click here.