Amplify Values In These Emerging Issues
Rodney Reed case: Push Back Against the Death Penalty
Late last week, an appeals court indefinitely suspended the execution of Rodney Reed in Texas. Reed was scheduled to be executed today for the murder of a woman 23 years ago. Recent evidence has come to light that supports Reed’s claims of innocence, and several celebrities have called for his case to be reopened. Support Reed’s legal case as part of the movement against capital punishment. Next month, the federal government is scheduled to restart executions after nearly 20 years. Activists are organizing against this policy change and need support. Cite the values of Redemption and Community in your messaging.
- Take action: Sign and share these petitions to free Rodney Reed and stop federal executions.
- Messaging and communication tools: Free Rodney Reed’s website, Death Penalty Action’s Say NO to Federal Executions!; The Opportunity Agenda’s Americans are Becoming Less Punitive; Ten Lessons for Talking About Criminal Justice Issues and Building a Narrative to Address Violence in the U.S.
- Hashtags: #RodneyReed; #NoFederalExecutions
Upcoming Media Hooks & Events
Nov. 20 - 27
Below is a list of communication hooks and events for this week in October that you can use to reach new audiences and inform existing ones. Click on each link for messaging and communication tools as well as hashtags.
Events and Cultural Hooks:
- Native American Heritage Month
- National Family Caregivers Month
- Open enrollment for health insurance plans: Now until Sunday, Dec. 15
- #SaveAsylum Week of Action: Now until Thursday, Nov. 21
- Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week: Now until Sunday, Nov. 24
- Transgender Day of Remembrance/Resilence: Wednesday, Nov. 20
- Latina Equal Pay Day: Wednesday, Nov. 20
- Webinar- The Opportunity Agenda's Immigration Research Consortium: Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 2pm EST
- Fifth Democratic presidential debate: Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 9pm EST
- Pres. John F. Kennedy bans racial discrimination from federal housing: Nov. 20, 1962
- American Indian Organization occupies Alcatraz (50 year anniversary): Nov. 20, 1969
- 12-year-old Tamir Rice was murdered by police (5 years ago): Nov. 22, 2014
- Department of Homeland Security founded: Nov. 25, 2002
For a look further ahead in November, click here.