Amplify Values In These Emerging Issues
Speak Up for Criminal Justice Reform
This Friday is the 25th anniversary of President Clinton signing the Crime Bill. As a result, criminal justice will likely be a topic discussed at the Democratic Presidential debate on Thursday and in the media. The legislation is now blamed for the explosion of mass incarceration in the United States. Recent activism wants to end money bail as one move towards a more rehabilitative approach. Discuss this anniversary by citing the values of Redemption and Voice.
- Messaging and communication tools: Vera Institute of Justice's #ReimgaineJustice event video and The Next 25 Years video; The Opportunity Agenda’s Promote Community Safety through Alternatives to Incarceration and Encourage Equitable Sentencing; Union Theological Seminary's Exodus event video: Building a Movement to End Mass Incarceration and Mass Detention; Center for American Progress' The 1994 Crime Bill Continues to Undercut Justice Reform; Color of Change’s End Money Bail and Video: The Truth About the Money Bail Industry; Black Love’s Bail Out; ACLU’s We Can’t End Mass Incarceration Without Ending Money Bail; The Vera Institute’s Justice in Focus: The Crime Bill at 20; The Marshall Project’s 1994 Crime Bill links
- Hashtags: #1994crimebill; #EndBailMoney; #ReimagineJustice
Defend Refugee Resettlement to the U.S.
The Trump administration is considering “zeroing out” the refugee resettlement program which has selected and brought refugee families to the United States for the past 40 years. The proposal is an affront to our nation’s heritage of welcoming people with a well-founded fear of persecution. Such a proposal would strand thousands of endangered people across the globe and eliminate hundreds of jobs in resettlement agencies. Join advocates in defending a program that is central to our national identity.
- Take action: Join Welcoming America's Welcoming Week in a city or town near you.
- Messaging and communication tools: The Opportunity Agenda's The Importance of Maintaining our Identity as a Nation That Welcomes Refugees and Talking About Unaccompanied Refugee Children Fleeing Harm; National Immigration Forum's Audio: Leaders Voice Support for Refugees; Welcoming America's WelcomingRefugees.org; SEARAC's Trump Administration Considers Further Cuts to Refugee Admissions; American Immigration Council's Trump Administration Considers Lowering the Refugee Cap to Zero
- Hashtag: #withrefugees; #StandWithRefugees
Upcoming Media Hooks & Events
Sept. 11 - 20, 2019
Below is a list of communication hooks for this week in September. Click on each link for tools and hashtags.
- Hunger Action Month
- National Recovery Month
- "Patriot Day" Anniversary of Attacks on World Trade Center and Pentagon: Sept. 11, 2001
- Defund Hate Week of Action: Now until Friday, Sept. 13
- Twitterstorm on the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC): Thursday, Sept. 12
- Signing of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act (Clinton's 1994 "Crime Bill"): Sept. 13, 1994 (25th anniversary)
- Welcoming Week: Friday, Sept. 13 - Sunday, Sept. 22
- Jonathan Ferrell shot and killed by police: Sept. 14, 2013
- The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing: Sept. 15, 1963
- National Hispanic Heritage Month: Sunday, Sept. 15 - Tuesday, Oct. 15
- Occupy Wall Street: Sept. 17, 2011
- Citizenship Day: Tuesday, Sept. 17
- Our Story Narrative Training: Tuesday, Sept. 17
- Webinar "Vision Values Voice: Messaging for Lasting Change": Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 2pm EDT
- Final #HandsOffSNAP/#ProtectSNAP tweet storm: Thursday, Sept. 19 at 3pm EDT
- Webinar: The Immigration Research Consortium: Friday, Sept. 20
- The Immigration Research Consortium webinar: Friday, Sept. 20
- Hurricane Maria makes landfall in Puerto Rico: Sept. 20, 2017
- Global Climate Strike: Friday, Sept. 20 -Friday, Sept. 27
For a look further ahead in September, click here.
Add the Amp media hooks to your work calendar
You don't need to wait each week for the Amp action alert to find out what's coming up. You can easily add our media hooks and events to your work calendar, which will automatically update when your refresh your calendar. Here's how:
- Google Calendar: Follow these instructions. Copy and paste this entire link: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=bzMzcm11MjMxb2NoYnA1aTE2Ym90bXN2dXNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ
- Outlook: Follow these instructions. Copy and paste this entire link: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/o33rmu231ochbp5i16botmsvus%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Apple iCal for Macs: Follow these instructions. Copy and paste this entire link: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/o33rmu231ochbp5i16botmsvus%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics