Amplify Values In These Emerging Issues
Protect Migrant Rights from Trump's Assaults
Last week, the Supreme Court ruled that the Trump administration can implement the “Safe Third Country” rule for asylum seekers while a legal challenge to the new rule is litigated in court. Advocates note that this basically end asylum at the southern border and could endanger thousands of people. At the same time, the Administration refused to institute temporary protected status for survivors fleeing the devastation of Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas. Call out these policies by citing the values of Community and Economic Security.
- Messaging and communication tools: The Opportunity Agenda's The Importance of Maintaining our Identity as a Nation That Welcomes Refugees and Talking About Unaccompanied Refugee Children Fleeing Harm; Amnesty International’s Trump Administration's Asylum Ban Could be a Death Sentence for People Seeking Safety; Welcoming America's WelcomingRefugees.org; Center for Victims of Torture’s Deeply Disturbed by Supreme Court’s Misguided Decision on Asylum
- Hashtags: #withrefugees; #StandWithRefugees; #WelcomingWeek; #IWelcome
Veto Trump’s Plans to Cut SNAP for Struggling Families: Comment Today!
There are only a few days left to comment on the Trump administration’s proposal to implement, through executive action, cuts to SNAP benefits which it failed to get through legislation. With this end run around Congress, the proposal would eliminate SNAP benefits for 3.1 million individuals, take free school meals away from the children in those families, and punish people with even meager savings. The comment period ends on Monday, Sept. 23. Advocates want to generate lots of comments making clear that these cuts would harm struggling people.
- Take action: Comment and share these commenting tools from Feeding America:, The Center for American Progress: and Food Research & Action Center (FRAC). Join the tweet storm on Thursday, Sept. 19 at 3pm EDT.
- Messaging and communication tools: #HandsOffSNAP coalition's digital toolkit and campaign page, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities' SNAP’s “Broad-Based Categorical Eligibility; The Opportunity Agenda's Talking About Poverty & Economic Opportunity Today: Three Core Pillars; Talking about Economic Justice and Shifting the Narrative on Poverty
Upcoming Media Hooks & Events
Sept. 18 - 26, 2019
Below is a list of communication hooks and events this week in September. Click on each link for messaging and communication tools as well as hashtags.
- Hunger Action Month
- National Recovery Month
- Welcoming Week: now until Sunday, Sept. 22
- National Hispanic Heritage Month: now until Tuesday, Oct. 15
- Webinar "Vision Values Voice: Messaging for Lasting Change": Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 2pm EDT
- Final #HandsOffSNAP/#ProtectSNAP tweet storm: Thursday, Sept. 19 at 3pm EDT
- Webinar: The Immigration Research Consortium: Friday, Sept. 20
- Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico: Sept. 20, 2017
- Global Climate Strike: Friday, Sept. 20 -Friday, Sept. 27
- The Emmys: Sunday, Sept. 22
- Birthday of John Coltrane, Ray Charles, Bruce Springsteen and Mary Church Terrell: Sept. 23 (various years)
- First-ever Congressional oversight hearing on The Muslim Ban: Sept. 24 (several related events all day)
- National Voter Registration Day: Tuesday, Sept. 24
- Congress passed the Bill of Rights: Sept 24, 1789
- In-person "Our Story Narrative Training” in NYC: Tuesday, Sept 24 at 2pm EDT
For a look further ahead in September, click here.