The Opportunity Agenda is seeking a Cultural Strategies Associate, responsible for supporting the planning, managing, improving, and implementing of the organization’s 1) cultural strategies that reach, persuade and activate large, strategic audiences in support of its program work. In addition, this individual will provide support for the national Creative Change retreat and network, including convenings of artists and activists and social media presence; and 3) research, dissemination and trainings focused on best practices. The successful candidate will be creative, proactive and detail-oriented, capable of working effectively with a diverse range of staff, consultants, cultural creatives and field allies in order to advance the organization’s mission. The position requires discretion and independent judgment as well as strong planning, team work, logistical, social media and event management skills, and a commitment to and knowledge of cultural strategy.
The Cultural Strategies Associate is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Working under the supervision of the Director of Cultural Strategies, and in coordination with other program and development staff, this position’s responsibilities include:
- Coordinate logistics, travel, contracts, and track budget for the annual Creative Change Retreat and other convenings.
- Coordinate the production and logistics, and contribute to the content development, of arts and advocacy projects, events and commissions on organization’s initiatives including economic justice, immigrant rights and criminal justice.
- Develop a knowledge of, grow, engage and maintain the Creative Change alumni network through online strategy, content production and personal outreach.
- Regularly update the Creative Change network database of alumni and key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the organization’s Digital Communications team to maintain and improve all of the organization’s social and online media presence related to Cultural Strategies.
- Give feedback, help analyze data and support tool creation on research projects related to pop culture and cultural strategies.
- In collaboration with program staff, develop plans for the further integration of creative strategies across program areas.
- Collaborate on the design and implementation of trainings and webinars involving cultural strategy and Creative Change network members.
- Support oversight of Cultural Strategy interns.
- Serve on the organization’s Editorial Team to help weave cultural strategies throughout the organization's online presence.
- Attend, as needed, external meetings and events related to cultural strategy or Creative Change alumni.
- Provide administrative support including scheduling of meetings, staff travel and data entry.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
This position is based in New York City. Some travel required – approximately 15%.
Also, please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee fin this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in and knowledge of creative and cultural strategies;
- Two to three years minimum experience coordinating convenings and managing events;
- Three to five years minimum work experience;
- Project coordination and budget tracking experience;
- Experience in arts, entertainment and social justice, from a non-profit, commercial and/or philanthropic perspective.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Commitment to social justice and a strong working knowledge of cultural strategies.
- Experience assisting or managing complex public activities or events.
- Detail-oriented and able to juggle several projects at once.
- Experience with CRMs – knowledge of Raisers’ Edge a plus.
- Social media skills, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to interact with diverse audiences.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- A sense of humor and enthusiasm for our work and mission.
- Bilingual skills in Spanish and English are desirable.
New York, NY
To apply, click here.